Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Welcome to my new blog!

About This Blog

Hello readers! This blog was created for my IDC 6010 – Writing Across Media graduate course. This is a multimodal blog, meaning there will be a lot of elements involved aside from just text. Expect lots of pictures, videos, and more to be included!

My first step in this crazy journey
known as planning a wedding! 
I decided to focus my blog on my DIY (Do It Yourself) Wedding. I am both creative and poor. As such, when I started planning my wedding, I decided to incorporate a lot of DIY elements to try to limit costs and expand my creative abilities. Let’s face it, weddings are stupidly expensive. When you attach the word “wedding” to something, the price immediately goes up exponentially. When done right, DIY elements can be very cost effective. However, you have to plan for some screw-ups along the way to cost you even more money in the long run! DIY can be great, as long as you don't bite off more than you can chew.

In addition to just DIY elements, I want to provide other brides-to-be with information on how my overall wedding planning is going. Maybe they are just starting the entire process, much like me, and just want to know that they’re not along in their experiences. No bride is ever alone! We’re all going through the same stresses and trials in the planning process. I am here to provide support and advice to any other lady (or man!) out there who may need it.

About Allison

Steven and I celebrating my birthday
at Disney in March of 2014!
So who’s the person behind this blog? My name is Allison Feldman, and I’m a 25-year-old bride-to-be living outside Atlanta, Georgia. I’m a graduate student expecting to finish my degree of Information Design and Communication in May of 2016.

I have a love of creativity, writing, color, and Disney. Yes, the love of Disney is that big. My money and free time just seem to disappear at the mere mention of the word Disney. I whole-heartedly believe that anything is possible, and that writing is a window to one’s true dreams.

My adorable fiancé deserves a mention, as well, since this blog is all about eventually marrying the guy. His name is Steven, and he’s finishing up his Bachelor’s in Communication this July! His degree has been a long time coming, so we’re both ready for him to graduate. Interestingly, neither of us started out in Communications, but it’s where we both ended up. Funny how things work out that way.

About the Wedding

We are still very early in the planning stages, and honestly, we don’t even have a definitive date set yet. This was a big engagement gripe of mine—even when we were only engaged for a few hours, we had people asking if we had a date yet. I hadn't even updated my Facebook status yet, much less have time to figure out a date! We do have a tentative date—June 4, 2016—but this is all dependent on our choice of venue and so many other factors. However, a long engagement means lots of time to make things myself! (Well, myself and with the help of my bridesmaids who I’m sure love me very dearly.)

While this is not the dress I chose,
I had too much fun spinning in it.
The one major thing I have checked off the list is that I bought my dress! I wasn’t planning to this early, but one thing led to another, and suddenly I was ringing a bell and saying yes to a dress. One of my blog posts will be based on this experience. We have a few minor things determined as well, like our possible guest list and our honeymoon destination, but none of it is really set in stone just yet. Aside from that, I’m just sort of doing things as I go!

Steven and I have a huge love of Disney, and we plan to incorporate that into our wedding, very subtly, and probably much to my dad’s dismay. I intend to make my bouquet out of Disney park maps—there will also be a post on this in the coming days! My bridesmaid proposals are Disney princess themed, we want Disney references on the cake, and we may involve our love of pin trading as well. It’s an obsession for us, but it’s a big part of how we fell in love, and want to share that with everyone.

Speaking of our love of Disney, Steven proposed to me at the Animal Kingdom Lodge at Disney World in Orlando. He sent me on a scavenger hunt through the resort, with each clue leading to a family member holding a rose, and ending with him by the flamingos holding my favorite flower. (By the way, the best things about the resort? It’s basically a zoo as well! Lots of rooms overlook a savanna with giraffes and zebras.) It was perfectly done at my favorite on-site resort, and had just enough hints of Disney! While I intend to make a full video of his elaborate proposal one day, here’s a clip from the actual proposal! Even though I was expecting it, I may have been a tad nervous and had a slight death grip on my flowers! :)

About Time to Wrap This Up...

So, that’s all for this introductory post! You’re more than welcome to leave me any comments, thoughts, sage wedding planning advice, you name it! Until next time...

-Allison

May as well sneak one more Disney picture in!




1 comment:

  1. You are quite the organizational planner. I especially like your multimodal elements -- spinning dress is my favorite! Your subtitle is relevant and descriptive. The only visual I would revise is the green background. As a reader, I was distracted by the background. DIY is an emerging career right now; one which you might consider as you move forward with your blog!

    ReplyDelete